Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Stirrings...

Off-season is in full effect here in sleepy, snowy Telluride Colorado. Spring's attempt to burst forth has again been thwarted by a seemingly ironic persistence of snow. We have recieved more snow in the month of April than any other month all winter. It's as though the moment the mountain closed ol' Jack Frost got into his bag of mischief and flipped us the bird from the curtain of ice underneath Ingram Falls.

The weather, and tempo have been slowly wearing me thin. As Frodo would say, "like too little butter spread over too much bread." As friends accumulate in mass exodus and head west to Moab, Paradox Valley, and Tuscon, to bask with lizards and shake loose the frosty stains of winter I remain. Lost in the internet, chronically updating my Facebook profile, and uploading photos from adventures past I loose myself in habit. Wake up, fall back asleep, wake up, make coffee, shower, pack up the computer and head to the library to return season 5 of Tales From the Crypt and plot my own very necessary escape from the canyon.

Luckily, it is time to make due on a promise to myself to upgrade my '91 Honda Civic, fuel efficient and reliable as it is, to a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. It is, as I have told my friends, family, and creditors, "an investment in my safety and my future." After 3 years of combing the lines of craigslist, cars.com, carfinder, ebaymotors, and countless used car lots I have found my dream truck in Pierre, South Dakota. I leave on Tuesday May 10th, out of Denver, and fly direct to Pierre. After picking up the truck I will meander my way back to Telluride over a week or so. My plan is to fish every state along the way, driving when the weather is bad, and waking up to new waters. I will sleep in the back and tie my flies on the tailgate while I brew the mornin' coffee.

I can't wait...

web.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment